Welcome to Drum Nuts (& Bolts)!
First let me introduce myself...I'm Darin, a semi-pro (big emphasis on the "semi" part) pop/rock drummer. I have the good fortune of being associated with a band of very talented forty-something musicians, all of whom have day jobs but still dream of becoming musicians full time! We perform from time to time, but for us, the music is really about getting together, jamming, and trying to keep our skills sharp.
As any performing drummer knows, the drummer also has the most difficult technical job. It takes a lot of time and energy to (1) select the right components for one's drum kit, and (2) set up and tune those components correctly. This may not seem overly complicated--until you realize that the gear you selected for weekend gigs doesn't work so well in the recording studio.
We all learn a lot along the way, which brings us to the purpose of this blog...Drum Nuts (& Bolts) is about the technical side of drumming:
- Selecting quality gear on a budget
- Choosing the right heads and accessories
- Configuring your drum kit
- Tuning like a pro
- Buying used gear with confidence
- Upgrading gear
- Cleaning and restoring gear
- Evaluating useful tools and techniques
- Understanding gear manufacturing materials and methods
- Staying abreast of new industry developments and trends